Saturday, July 6, 2019

Open Road

Response to Prompt #52,  Road Trip!

I'm usually not a fan of road trips, maybe because my childhood vacations consisted of 24-hour drives from Pontiac to Clearwater and then from Clearwater to Pontiac, with a few brief stops to pee and eat. But, a couple of summers stick with me: one summer driving down the Pacific Coast Highway and another driving the coast and forests of Oregon. Those are two drives I'll never forget. Both were filled with breathtaking scenery and surprising stops along the way. But, the thing that really made them special was experiencing new things with John. It made me feel like a kid again, or maybe made me feel like the kid I never was.  The found poem below is a tribute to those two summers and an appreciation for the experiences I've yet to have with my forever guy.

Sidenote: I included links to the videos for the songs I used to create this found poem below.


Open Road

You and me together, we could do anything,
our arms as wide as the sky.

I don't shine if you don't shine,
stars blazing like rebel diamonds.

Time will always try to make us old, but
growin' up doesn't mean getting older.

Let's go. I don't care--anywhere.
I feel like taking chances.

Who knows what we'll find,
keep an open mind.

Doesn't matter where we're going,
the thought of arriving kind of feels like dying.

Your hand on my hand
with magic soaking my spine.

As long as I'm with you,
we could take the long way.

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there
with open arms and open eyes. 

Like a heartbeat skip, like an open page.
Can you read my mind?

Songs
Drive Acoustic Version and Official Video (Ben Rector)
Brand New (Ben Rector)
Drive by Incubus
Read My Mind by the Killers
Long Drive  by Jason Mraz
You and Me by Dave Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment