Thursday, May 9, 2019

Fire and Flood

Response to Prompt #51

I've recently returned to a character from a larger story I've been dickering around with for a long time, and working a little at a time to pull his story together. I don't want to say too much more about it.  This is just a scene I've seen in my head for a long time.  It felt good to finally get it written.  It started out shorter -- I had to expand it!




Fire and Flood

He was far from home when it happened. He wanted nothing to do with the life in Ashe County. He hadn’t even said goodbye.

When word reached him two states away that his mother, father, and brother had perished in a fire at his family home, the disregarded guilt burrowed even deeper, a crevice inside of him that no one would find. He never spoke of it to anyone.

Until today.

Standing with his only daughter on the land his family owned, he pointed to where the house once stood. She held his hand, as tears fell in a flood.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment