Saturday, May 18, 2019

Finally Here

Response to Prompt #51: 100 Word Story

Wow, this was hard. Helen recently told me I was maturing as a writer because I have been learning to be more economical with my words. I loved the way that sounded. I think I like the way this story turned out, but it was really hard to reduce it down to 100 words. I'm not sure if I selected the right story for this challenge. I am afraid I didn't do it justice to the feelings I had when I actually experienced it. But I knew as soon as I did I was going to write about it somehow, so I thought why not this. Here it is...

Finally Here
by ljk

She stood quietly, her baby wrapped to her body with colorfully woven fabric. Deep dark serious eyes, cocoa brown skin. And one small shoulder bag perhaps all they had.

Waiting to board, the little one nibbled a doughnut hole over her mama’s shoulder. I wondered where they were going and from where they came. Then they were gone from my thoughts, faded amongst the other passengers.

We flew. We arrived.

Weary, I dragged myself from the jetway to the terminal where I saw them again, mama now wrapped in a tearful and seemingly endless embrace.

At last they made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment