Thursday, May 30, 2019

Blog #52: High School Relationships

I'm not sure why, but some time ago I stopped receiving my daily email from The Writer's Almanac. I never took the time to dig into why, but recently to my delight it commenced again! I think it's my affinity for nonfiction that attracts me to the musings of the daily emails. Don't get me wrong, I love the poem each day, but I also enjoy reading about the birthdays and historical events. It's a more rounded out offering than poem a day from poets.org, which I also like! Anyway, to the point of the post...

Yesterday, May 29th, it was the poem that stuck with me. I'm not sure if it's because I married my high school boyfriend, or that I have such strong feelings of nostalgia about that time in my life, but I just loved "High School Boyfriend" by Margaret Hasse. I thought immediately about using it for a mentor poem, and I think I might- for this post or maybe something else. Anyway, seems apropos to write about high school while seniors all over the country are graduating. Here is the prompt:

Write from a place of nostalgia, about a high school boyfriend, girlfriend, or best friend. Maybe even a crush or someone you longed to be with back then. Capture the essence of the relationship in a poem, create a character sketch, or write a story about an escapade or a moment you shared (or longed to share). We've all written extensively about our pasts, for this prompt focus in on this relationship and how that person made you feel. Maybe even reveal or uncover feelings you didn't know you had. Feel free to include a high school pic with your post!


Paul and me the summer after HS graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment