Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Left at the Table

Response to prompt #45: Obsessions

I made a list. I thought a lot about this. I have a recent sugar addiction to a disgusting candy call Sweet Tart Ropes, I've been having some preoccupying thoughts about my current work situation and some of the changes happening at my job. I also think I have a thinking obsession. See what I did there? My brain seems to be churning all the time, a sign to me I need to get back to yoga and mediation practice. As I started this prompt I did a little word association. I wondered how obsession, preoccupation, and addiction were similar and distinguished from one another. As you might assume, addiction is more of a habit. Preoccupation and obsession are more about thought. Preoccupation, to be completely engrossed in thought, doesn't sound as extreme as obsession which is to have one's thoughts "dominated" by a feeling or persistent idea. This made the subject of my writing clear to me, and it came out as a sort of stream of consciousness... poem, I guess?


Left at the Table
waking thoughts and nagging insomnia-causing concerns
wasted hours of worry, intrusive thoughts fought off by to-do lists and job related tasks 
but they're back- it's a bathroom break with no directed thoughts or pen holding or key stroking
no phone call or reading material or Skype screen
a wandering mind traveling in time trying to predict the future 
or at least begging for a glimpse of what's to come in his life
a brief lunchtime distraction bringing obsession face to face as he sits in front of me
worry translates to conversation for a brief sense of calm as he listens
I listen until it's over and my mind is the only one left at the table



No comments:

Post a Comment