Saturday, March 19, 2016

Rotten

Response to the prompt I forgot. I was supposed to write about a time when I forgot something, resulting in catastrophe. Though I'm not convinced this never happened to me, I could not think of such an event, no matter how hard and how long I tried. Maybe once our memories fail us, and the consequences are catastrophic, our brains continue to protect us by banishing the whole thing from our memory for all time! So forgive me for using creative license to respond, but I ended up with a silly, yet I think relatable, little piece of poetry instead. Just try to tell me you've never had this happen before. I dare you!

Rotten
by Laurie J. Kemp

In the bottom of my fridge it seems I've forgotten
two fresh zucchinis, now sitting there rotten.

At the back of the produce drawer I'm afraid it seems
there's a pile of brown mush where there once was green.

I had exciting plans for the marvelous fruit
unfortunately the recipe is probably moot.

I should be baking an aromatic zucchini bread
but I'm scrubbing with a nose plug and gloves instead.

The freshest ingredients home from the store
are difficult to see through a windowless door.

Placing them back, tucked and under
is the perfect recipe for a grocery blunder.

I have the perfect remedy for my food storage woes
I should market my idea to the appliance pros.

An extra wide fridge that stretches the wall
and shallow shelves so you can see it all.

Across the front, a sliding glass door
just like the ones in the convenience store.

Nothing gets buried, nothing can hide
nothing expires before it is tried.

And at the end of the week the produce drawer
is empty and clean and begging for more.

Zucchini that did not rot at the bottom of the fridge!





2 comments: