Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Mariposa Azul

Response to Invitation to Write #11





Mariposa Azul

By Helen Sadler

Today I wrote a poem about all of my unfinished projects.  Well, almost all.  Turns out there were quite a few I forgot about and they didn’t make it into poetry.

When I was done, I could have easily sunk into depression. I had this feeling of grasping at something that was just out of reach.  I suppose the logical and sane thing would have been to get started on one of those projects.

Instead, I just sat there. This is one of those cases of just wanting to think about the problem instead of solving the problem.

Yes, that’s a problem. Falling into a daydream instead of taking action.

Strangely, in my gloomy state I found myself standing in front of the Magic Cottage, a converted garden shed. And there was SARK, standing in her full blast of color wildflower garden.

“Why so glum?” she playfully chided, stepping away from her place and somehow into mine.

One more day of feeling stalled on what I say I want to do. One more day facing my own incomplete projects.

Her eyes were wide and bright.

 “Micromovements.  You know about them, right?”

Well, yeah. After all, my friend Carol used to talk about that all of the time. And sometimes I remember. But really, SARK, don’t I need time to make all of this happen? Don’t I need those long stretches of quiet to get the writing done?

“And what do you call spring break?”

She had me there.

“Look,” she continued as she perused my collection of elephants and Beatles memorabilia, “I truly thought that procrastination and unfinished projects would bother me forever. Now, instead of a habit of incomplete ideas, I really have a habit of completion.”

  But…

“Stop with the “yea butts” already and listen. Whatever I begin, I complete in some way, and it is not a strain at all. I now see that it is a learned behavior – just as the other was learned.”

I know all about learned behaviors. I have studied mine in-depth. Very few have ever changed. It kinda sucks at sixty to still be dealing with the same shit.

“You can change it.”

Damn, I know that.

“So…micromovements. Try it.”

Just to prove something – not sure what – I immediately went to my studio and added some orange paint to my butterfly painting, the one I started a couple of weeks ago and has just been sitting there waiting for me to brighten up its deep blue roots.

I feel a teeny bit better.

“Devote your life to being creative,” she said, taking some of my apple slices from the fridge and nibbling on one.  “You need to share your vision of the world. There is only one you.”

I blushed.

“Do you have anything to drink?” she asked, peering back into the refrigerator.

I poured her some Arnold Palmer drink over ice. I poured myself one, too. We settled onto the lanai.

Help me think through how to incorporate completion into my life, my day.

SARK sighed a big sigh. “Hey, look at that turtle poking his head above the water.”

Yeah, they’ve been doing that a lot lately.

“And you’ve noticed?”

Doing my best.

Well, that’s good. How you watch can shift your soul.  What you watch isn’t as important as how you watch. It’s a small way to be invested in the world.”

Invested. I like that word. I rarely use it.

“Well, start. You can become an Investment Counselor. You can en-courage others to practice self-investment and check in with them as investments begin to “pay-off.” Then you can celebrate together.”

I like your thinking, SARK. I think you’re my Investment Counselor.

“Well, you’ve ignored me long enough.  It’s about time you invested in reading my scribbles and squiggles. You have my permission to believe in magic, even if it means giving up procrastination.”

It’s kinda scary.

“Isn’t anything that is worth it?”

That which I seek is seeking me.

“Well, that’s profound.”

Roseanne Cash sings that in a song. Means a lot to me.

“This is what I have to say to that. Allowing has much to do with surrender. Allowing your own process brings discovery.”

Like orange paint on my blue butterfly?

“Exactly. Allowing the dark truly allows the light. Allowing your fears gives them no more fuel to grow. Your strengths are already in place and can be nurtured. Micromovements. Revel in the moment.”

Like these last few days of spring break?

“Yep.”

Micromovements?

“Yep.”

Wanna go to the beach?

“I’m all for giving myself gifts. The beach sounds like one perfectly wrapped for me right now.”

I’ll get us some towels.

“Maybe we can stop for lunch? I’m hungry.”

What could I say?  She was my Investment Counselor. The least I could do was buy her lunch.


3/30/16
9:22 a.m.










No comments:

Post a Comment