Saturday, March 12, 2016

Five Important Places I Forgot




Five Important Places I Forgot 
by Helen Sadler 

How easy it is to lose touch with the natural world. When I was writing everyday about the Five Questions, I found it easy to stay connected.  Now I can see that I have dropped that part off of my life for some reason. I have spent precious little time in the natural world for several months.

No wonder I am not well currently. That I’m popping pills just to stay in the game. That I watched a whole week fly by without much change.

So I have taken Herrara’s poem “Five Directions to My House” and wrote a new version.  And somehow I will pull myself out of these doors and appreciate the Florida sun and sky and trees.

Let the change begin.

Five Important Places I Forgot

Go back to the limestone rock by the lake, where the eastern sky is soft with sunrise.
Walk into the woods, the dampened trail, until it ends in prayer.
Beneath the sand on the beach, the crabs hide while the tide glides in.
You are almost there, about to remember what keeps you intact.
I said five, but the starry night of no moon says six.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. ...you write the most magnificent nature poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. ...you write the most magnificent nature poetry.

    ReplyDelete