Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Invitation to Write #11 The Imaginary Conversation

The Imaginary Conversation

A couple of weeks ago, I read a poem by Derrik J. Brown called "Le Monde Du Silence."  The poem is about the narrator having one of his recurring dreams, when he is suddenly interrupted by Jacques Cousteau. What ensues is a conversation that has a lot of humor and some actual quotes by Cousteau. Brown also adds in another influence as well (see notes at the end of the poem posted below.)

I decided immediately this could make a great writing prompt.  How can we create a scenario (a dream is a fine mode) to have an imaginary conversation about something/anything with a famous person? I found a few of the quotes from Cousteau on Brainy Quotes when I was verifying this was authentic, so that is a starting point if you are feeling dry on this one. Of course, songs or pieces of literature or other poems are fair game for this exercise.

I have not yet practiced this myself, so I cannot offer any additional advice. I just hope everyone has fun with this and lets it happen -- in other words, don't agonize over it.  Think of people you love and admire -- or maybe not -- and gather some of the things they've said. See where it takes you!

Brown's poem is three pages long, and sorry, I just wasn't up to typing the entire thing out and it isn't online; not in full anyway. See my not so great photos of the pages below.

This does not have to be a poem. It can be anything you want it to be.

For an additional challenge, try to create a title in another language!

Enjoy this creative endeavor.  I look forward (as always) to reading your creations. 








No comments:

Post a Comment