Sunday, January 31, 2016

This, Too, Shall Pass

This is my favorite Julieism, or phrases a la mommy.  A runner up is, it's just stuff.  She was a veritable zen master in blue jeans, that mommy of mine.  Her life was hard.  At twenty-one, she had three kids under the age of five, no driver's license and two jobs.  A self-made woman, she had one failing.  In her words, she flunked relationships.  Her big regret: never learning how to love anyone but her children unconditionally.

Over the years, I've hero-worshipped her, avoided her pitfalls, and just missed her terribly.  I am becoming more her everyday.

"This, too, shall pass" always meant to me a way of seeing through problems.  They are impermanent.

Then I used this quote in class.  Through our discussion, my students let me see that it's all impermanent.  Good and bad, it all will pass.  Then I asked the million dollar question: so how ought we live, according to this quote?

Enjoy the good, because it's temporary.
Endure the pain, because it's temporary.

"Be like Bob! Don't worry about a thing!" because it's temporary.

Yepper.  I am Julie 2.0.  I love the meme that reminds us to "remember whose daughter you are, and adjust your crown".  Sometimes, I'm doing so much crown adjusting that I feel like I'm doing the Macarena.  But every time I do, a little more fairy dust flickers onto my golden hair.  Just like my momma's.

No comments:

Post a Comment