Sunday, January 31, 2016

This Little Light of Mine Prompt #8


I got this mug last Christmas, from my in-laws' best friends.  It's just the typical quirky gift Linda loves to give and I love to get.  She has in the past given me cute hangings of women with quotes.  They're like fairy cut out dolls for my wall and I just love them.  I think I am the only one in the family, though, who looked forward to Linda's gifts.  Everyone else prefers gift cards. Blech!

So it features a woman on a bicycle with a basket full of stars, and a light.  Her skirt is a road map.  It says, to paraphrase, Imagine what you can do when you share your light upon the world.  Elsewhere, it says something like, there are few who possess the power to brighten everything they touch.

I may have mentioned before how terrible last Christmas was, the fight on Christmas Eve over letting our sons, 19 and 13, open a present early, buying a TV on Black Friday while my husband was playing smoochie bear on his phone, The whole season was lifeless, meaningless, bereft.

Then, I opened this little treat.  I used it everyday until it began leaking a couple months ago.  It gave me strength in the midst of panic attacks, when I couldn't breathe from the shock of it all, when I had to choke back tears, and on coffee, when my son was in the car.  In a word, it saved me.  It's been a reminder over this hardest year of my life that I am seen.  That who I am wasn't entirely diminished.  That I have something to offer the world.  No, not the June Cleaver image I nearly died creating, but this little, quirky, one-size-does-not-fit-most person that I've always been.

This little cup of mine gave me room, gave me back to me, on delicious sip at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment