Saturday, February 12, 2022

Surviving the Peace

 Response to Prompt #71 Reflection


This morning I was reflecting on what occurred in the classroom yesterday, marveling at an experience that, frankly, took me by surprise. Then I picked up the Anthology of Native Nations Poetry that Annmarie gave me (When the Light of the World was Subdued, Our Songs Came Through) and read the poem "Shrinking Away" by Jim Northup. In his bio, it explains that Northrup is a Vietnam War vet, and many of his poems are about the conflicts and struggles he has had. At the end of this particular poem he says

That's when I realized that
surviving the peace was up to me

 and this is what I wrote in response to his words...


Don't we all
come to that
conclusion
over and over
again?
Even as
we hear this
advice, it is
incredibly 
hard to
apply.
 
The only way
to have peace
is to BE PEACE.
 
I mean
honestly,
when you grow
up with conflict
always around you
it is hard to 
truly embrace 
peace. 
You get used
to surviving
the conflict
that you
have no 
experience
in surviving
peace.
 
Yet,
I feel
so much
of my
life has
been 
focused on
peace.
The desire,
the need,
the want
of it.
 
So I was 
actually 
surprised
when I fell
into a 
peaceful 
state and 
stayed there.
The entire
day, class
after class.
I never 
wavered
from a
kind of 
soul peace 
that seemed
to inhabit 
me fully.
 
I was somehow
no longer
feeding into,
or reacting
in any way to
the conflict
and chaos
and confusion
that comes
with middle
schoolers.
 
As the day
wore on,
I continued
to witness
this, and it
never changed.
Nothing rattled
me. I just 
kept this 
peaceful posture 
up until
the very end.
 
So...
I reflect now...
Was this 
the real thing?
Will I walk
in Monday
and Be Peace
once again?
Did this 
experience
reflect a
truth of
who I
have
become
after
all 
this 
time?

No comments:

Post a Comment