Thursday, February 8, 2018

I Am

Response to Rock, Paper, Scissors: Prompt #32

Preface:
I remember when I was a kid, we played Rock, Paper, Scissors, Match. I'm not sure what happened to the match. I don't know if other kids played with the 4th option the way we did in my neighborhood. It's possible it dropped off out of fear with the "don't play with matches" campaign. Or maybe it was just made up by a kid in my town. Who knows. But we always had match, so I have a bonus verse.

**
Every time I think of this prompt, I get an ear worm. It's Paul Simon you know,
I am a rock, I am an Is- Is....land. 
And a rock feels no pain. 
And an island never cries. 
Doo do da doo  doo.
(It's really hard to emulate that onomatopoeic sound).

**
I have thought about how this relates to my life. In logical, organizational mindset, true to my often left-brained thinking, I naturally started to sort and compartmentalize. I am a rock at work. I am paper at home. I can be scissors at work too, and the rock of my family. Kick in right-brain thinking. The logic was't working. I threw it out and mulled over it some more for a while. It's not neat and compartmentalized. It does't have to be.

I Am
by Laurie J Kemp

I am a rock.

Rough around some edges, but
Over time formed into myriad facets,
Crystallized mirrors of metamorphosis
Kaleidoscope of nature's colors

I am paper.

Purposeful. Easily accessible
At almost any time
Plagued with lines and
Even a couple of holes
Run-of-the-mill yet a little bit special

I am scissors.

Shamefully, I cut
Cut through with biting sarcasm
In my moments of vulnerability
Squeezing my handles together
Slicing
Only to feel saddened later
Remorseful of my projection
Sharp and self-aware.

I am a match.

Make fire when you rub
Against me wrong
Trust me, I am flammable
Capable of bursting into flames
Helplessly dying in ash










No comments:

Post a Comment