Sunday, January 1, 2023

Response to Prompt #73--The Stuff that Always Works

Work in Progress








I often beat myself up for not sticking to rituals and routines,

wondering what is wrong with me.

Something inside me bucks against regimens, 

with one exception--exercise. 

Even that has to get switched up regularly lest I grow restless.


When I reflect on the why behind all this, 

I settle on the same thing: I am a work in progress.

Perhaps I always will be.

Maybe the stuff that always works for me involves mixing it up,

trying new things, exploring different possibilities. 


So while I envy those who get into grooves,

create their own customs, and stick to their plans,

I have to acknowledge that's just not me,

at least not yet.  

I am still a work in progress.


For now, I'll accept the path I'm on,

no matter how meandering it seems.

I'll refrain from calling myself inconsistent and undisciplined, 

nitpicking everything I don't do or do "wrong."

I am still a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment