Friday, September 3, 2021

That's Life

 "Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, that's life."  The Verve 

I haven't heard this song in a while, but when it came on the radio on my way to the gym, I knew it was my inspiration. It's one of those go-to songs for me, something that always resonates no matter my mood or current situation. The lines in italics are taken from the lyrics. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



That's Life

That's life.

One of my dad's favorite lines when I questioned things or lodged a complaint. 

It always seemed to me there was more to it than that. 

And now that I am grown, 

I know I was on the right road, 

the one that leads to the place where all the veins meet


Yes, life can be hard, 

it can even be unfair.

Yet I prefer to view it as a bittersweet symphony,

a long and intricate composition of sights, sounds, events, emotions,

all blending seamlessly to create something pleasurable, 

even if it is tinged with occasional unpleasantries. 


That's life is a cop-out, 

a way to shirk responsibility for your own fate.

Life isn't arbitrary.

It requires careful thought, reason, principles. 

That's life is fool's gold, 

meant to trick the untrained eye into accepting a narrow world view. 


If you must sum up life, don't leave it at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment