Monday, April 27, 2020

Three

Response to #59: Memory is Tricky





Wow, this prompt was posted (by me) two months ago. In some ways it seems time has stood still and in others it seems like we've lived lifetimes. I've been involved in some other writing projects of late- lots of professional writing of documents and procedures and protocols, and a side virtual writing group, an effort to bring people together during social distancing. It has really helped me to help other people process and heal through writing, but my own writing has been minimal.

The last two weeks, I seem to be unblocking. I'm trying to dissolve the crusty build up and increase the creative flow. This morning after playing around with a couple of simple poem forms, I realized I never wrote to this prompt. And there you have it, time and circumstances.

As someone who tends to fixate on details, and often overexplains, I was struck by the form Helen introduced me to this week, the Pi-Ku (a 3.14 Haiku), and I just started some word play. With this prompt in the back of my mind, I ended up with this set of Pi-Ku or an extended Pi-Ku, however you want to look at it. The result is painful, albeit honest.

Three

Family of four
no
wasn't meant to be


We wanted children
child
one would be enough


He wanted siblings
one
of course a brother


It's alright now
loss
what we never had

Tight knit family
three
we learned is enough

No comments:

Post a Comment