Sunday, February 17, 2019

Fickle Friends

Response to Prompt #48, Listening to Nature.

Nature, I am trying to listen.

All I'm hearing is noise.

I would blame myself for projecting my negative feelings upon Nature, because blaming myself comes so naturally to me. It's not you; it's me, I whisper, head down in defeat. But, then I remember how fickle she can be. Maybe it's both of us.

All I know is the last two times I sought solace in her arms, I have been disappointed. That just makes me more agitated and leads to all sorts of questions.

What is wrong with me that I can't hear music in the sounds surrounding me?

Am I causing the discord, my actual presence upsetting the balance and peace? (a thought that is both paranoid and narcissistic--as if I am that important or have this power)

Am I a hopeless case?

And then I remember the cool breeze brushing my face on a perfectly sunny day under an impossibly turquoise sky as I walked Semi, the stress of my workday being swept away.

I remember the dragonflies darting around me, the feeling of peace they imparted.

I remember the faint call of a songbird cutting through the caws of the crows and the drilling of the woodpecker on the metal fascia, offering me hope that beauty still exists.

I remember my childlike fascination over the odd trees and custom ink blooms at the botanical gardens.

I remember the butterflies chasing each other among the blossoms, free from the mesh enclosure, rebel escapees.

All reminders I am not lost. I'm just having a hard time making it out of the fog some days.

Nature is not rebelling against me, and I am not rebelling against her. We're just fickle friends these days. But, we still have our moments.

The sun.
The breeze.
The lone songbird.
The flowers.
The lily pads.
The butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment