Sunday, May 20, 2018

On the Other Side of the Door: A Storyteller


 Response to Prompt #36

On the Other Side of the Door: A Storyteller

In the spring of 1986, Jim and I took our first trip out west: New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona.  We were already collectors of Native American art, but found ourselves surprised by the prevalence of a type of pottery we weren’t really familiar with: The Storyteller.  This pottery art come primarily from the Cochiti Pueblo, located in Sandoval County, New Mexico.

In the Pueblo Indian tradition, the storyteller is the elder who preserves the oral tradition.  The artistic representation always features children climbing on the storyteller, and the price of the art is determined by how many children are on the elder: about $100 for each child at that time.

As we visited a variety of stores in Old Town Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Sedona, I fell more and more in love with the storyteller.  Finally, at the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center, I found one that captured me fully, created by Martha Arquero, and was somewhat more affordable (at $450) than many of the storytellers we had seen.

My precious storyteller made by Martha Aquero (Cochiti)


***
As a child, I didn’t play with dolls.  They held no interest for me.  My friend Veronica had every kind of Barbie and related paraphernalia, but we didn’t play with them together.  On my First Communion, my grandmother gave me a Barbie doll. All I remember is that my mother was furious, and I was not encouraged to play with the item.

But Veronica and I did have another game we played.  It was totally imaginary.  We both created “families,” and we were the mothers.  We would divide up the yard into our two homes.  We knew exactly where every room in the house was, and we would go about our day as mothers, doing what we imagined mothers do, and talking to each other about our children.  I was Joan.  Veronica was Peg.

When our family moved to the suburbs, Veronica and I wrote letters to each other.  And along with those letters, we would include letters between Peg and Joan, still discussing their children and their married lives. 

About a year into this, on a summer day, I received a letter from Veronica and Peg.  They were together in one envelope, which I read, and then inadvertently left on a table in the family room when I went out to play.

When I came back in, it became clear that my mother had read the letters – and she mocked me for it.  She humiliated and shamed me over this “fake” exchange with my friend, and caused me to feel that I had done something horrible and wrong.

My response was not to get angry with her for invading my privacy, but instead I stopped. You might say the door to storytelling slammed shut.  I never had Joan write back to Peg.  I ended the game.  I never told Veronica why, and I don’t think she ever asked.  I did not even acknowledge this happened until about thirty years later.

***
When I was a member of Toastmasters, I completed the first ten speeches, and then was seeking to expand my skills through other types of speeches. These speeches would be gathered in advanced manuals by themes.  One of the themes was “Storytelling,” and I found myself reacting strongly to it.  I would say to myself, “Who would want to do that?  How trite!”  A member of our group started working through the storytelling manual, and I had to admit that it didn’t seem all bad. In fact, he seemed to be having a lot of fun.  I also had to finally face the fact that my strong reaction to it probably meant that was the way I was supposed to go.

So I did it.  I became a storyteller.  Not only that, I became an advocate for storytelling, and as Education Director for my group, often encouraged other members to try the speeches in that manual.  I began to attend storytelling events (with Iris, of course, also a storyteller) and we even attended the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee in October 1995.

It wasn’t until I was having coffee one morning with a friend in December, 1998, I uncovered what had happened with my mother that summer day in the late 1960’s.  It was the first time I acknowledged that she had shut me down as a creative writer and imaginative storyteller.  I recall going through the day feeling like something had crashed down around me, at the same time something had been built up over the past few years that held me strong.

You see, behind the door I was always that storyteller.  It was represented in the artwork I had purchased in 1986.  It was represented by my willingness to punch through my comfort zone and start to tell stories.  I put together a wonderful storytelling program for my high school alma mater’s Arts Festival.  I wrote grants with a teacher I knew to teach storytelling skills to her 7th grade students, which they performed for the elementary school kids.  Even when I moved to Florida, storytelling connected me to kids at the Sanibel School, where I would often sub, and the Language Arts teacher there welcomed me in to do the program there.  In college when I had to write an analysis for my Shakespeare class, I zeroed in on how Horatio was the teller of the story of Hamlet.  Understanding story brought the world more fully into focus.

The storyteller lived inside of me all those years, even after being shamed and shut down.  Finding her again was an incredible process. Storytelling helped make me a teacher, gave me new confidence, caused me to connect more fully as a writer, and opened my world to the power of narrative and how it is alive everywhere.

Finding that door I was hiding behind freed the storyteller in me. And what can be better than that?

Artist: Pamela Quintana (Cochiti)

No comments:

Post a Comment