Thursday, December 28, 2017

When someone laughed at your dreams...

 Response to Prompt #31


This has been a difficult prompt for me.  Originally I thought I would try to write in the voice of one of my students, one who is always yammering about how she is going to get back at people. But honestly, I don't know the lingo, so trying to write like her proved difficult.

I thought about using a structure to see if that could help.  I fell back on good old acrostic.  Then I thought about the only time I think I have felt "sweet revenge," and that was turning my life around after leaving my first husband.  So, like Annmarie, mine ended up being about my married life now, and how it has been the best revenge against a small life I was living before, that was mostly being planned by one. And not very well, may I add.


Remember how you shared your deepest wishes and he laughed, saying that is unlikely to

Ever happen, and you were crushed and believed him, not well-

Versed in being true to yourself, wanting approval, putting his thoughts as priority, as un-

Egalitarian as that sounds, it was the way you saw things, too scary to stand up to him, there was 

No other way until that moment when there was a way, a word, a smile,

Giving you a new vision, a way to be, the courage to act, the space and grace to grow and

Evolve into this woman, this strong and artistic woman, who felt sweet revenge with every success on the realization of her dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment