Monday, November 13, 2017

When Things Go Right

Response to Prompt #29, What the Hell Just Happened?

We've all had those WTH moments. I've had more than my fair share lately, but I'm trying to put it all in perspective by focusing on what has actually gone right, evidence that the universe is not out to get me. Funny how different life looks this way.

When Things Go Right

You know what they say about the best laid plans.

We had a doozy--sell the house, buy a high rise,
     enjoy wine sunsets overlooking the water from the 14th floor every evening.

The house did sell, the offer skating in the last day of the listing agreement,
     right about the time we found out John's company was being acquired.

Bullet dodged.

We became renters--a high rise on the river,
     enjoying the sights and sounds of the downtown life.

Fast forward.

In Orlando, I embark on creative recovery,
      start writing a book, dabble in nature photography.

I find myself, find out a lot about myself.
       Given the time and solitude, I make great strides.

We finally concede to make Orlando our home.
     Sick of renting, we pick a lot with a view and floor plan we could live with.

But, we don't plunk down a deposit just yet.
     It's not time.

Finally, we take our long-awaited vacation,
     deciding on Oregon's wine country, The Columbia River Gorge, Portland, and Cannon Beach.

Fires in the Columbia River Gorge divert us to Newport
     where magic happens on the shore--seals, a whale, a wise old man.

Right before we were about to commit to the new home in the form of cold hard cash,
      John receives a job offer back home--an offer he can't refuse.

Except he could refuse. He just didn't want to. I didn't want him to.
   
I visit Naples for a weekend, find the perfect home, ready to go.
     We negotiate an early lease buyout and excitedly prepare to head home.

We find out our new home and neighborhood survived Irma,
     just some downed trees and a power outage, all to be fixed by our arrival.

We close the morning we have movers scheduled--
      just in the nick of time.

Sigh of relief.

We are home--in more ways than one.
     We reunite with friends, spend time with our daughter.

A job becomes available, hand-picked for me--
     working with someone I truly admire and trust.

After a long wait for the ideal time to ship, the three cases of wine from Willamette Valley arrive--
     Just as we are about to leave town for a concert in Orlando.

Another worry lifted.

A call comes today. The shutters for the kitchen door are done early.
     We'd like to install them the 22nd, she says. Perfect, I happen to have that day off.

One more thing checked off my long list.








No comments:

Post a Comment