Saturday, September 30, 2017

I Say Ignorance Is Not Bliss

Response to prompt #27,  They say, but I say.

As I pondered the conventional "wisdoms" of society for this exercise, these came to mind:

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder (I cringe when I hear this one after 3 1/2 months apart from John).
They say you can't go home again.
They say time heals all wounds.
They say Karma is a bitch.
They say what goes around comes around. 

I had kind of narrowed it down to the last two, but something wasn't sitting quite right. They seemed too heavy, and I was really trying to keep this light. I needed it to be a tad bit lighter than the road my mind was traveling.* The people in my life could also use some levity. So, I held off.

John suggested we go for a walk. I proposed we take that walk to downtown Windermere, home to a great breakfast/brunch/lunch joint that we've been meaning to re-visit. We would walk, then grab something to eat. At brunch, he mentioned needing to go to Barnes and Noble. Perfect. Walk+food+bookstore=happy Annmarie. We attempted the B & N excursion before dinner out with friends last night, but the torrential downpour made us nix that trip.

I almost grabbed this book, but I got what I needed from the title!
I am so glad it did. If we would have gone last night, I would not have had this prompt in my brain, and I most certainly wouldn't have spotted the book in the bargain section where I took a break from watching John peruse the Microsoft Excel manuals. It gave me exactly the saying I needed for this piece: ignorance is bliss. 

Ha! I exclaimed silently so the other people in the store didn't think I was off my rocker. That is my "they say!" 

While it doesn't seem like a big deal for others, for me not jumping on the first thing I thought of is progress. I listened to the little voice inside, the gut feeling that my original ideas weren't what I needed to write about. Serendipity rewarded my efforts.

*Disclaimer: This did not exactly end up being light, but I am hoping you will see some humor in it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They say ignorance is bliss, but I say it's a self-made prison,
the bars of stupidity a convenient excuse
for the clueless to say whatever they want without consequence.
I didn't know they insist as they spew head-scratching statements.
Or worse, joyfully assert their "rightness" in spite of their state of dim-wittedness.
If indeed, ignorance is bliss, then why are the most benighted among us wallowing in discontent?
Why do they spread their uniformed views across social media like a blanket over a bed,
covering us all, smothering us as they tuck the corners and edges in.
Sleep tight, they say, but all the while you're fighting sleep,
kicking to free yourself from their unenlightened statements
that sweep whole groups of people into the same dustpan.
They say if you don't stand, you hate America,
but I say some kneel because they love America and truly want her to be great again.
They say it's our duty to support the president,
but I say it's his duty to have our best interests at heart, if he even has one.

If ignorance truly is bliss, then our "leader" is living the dream.
I say I'd rather be tortured by intelligent nightmares.


No comments:

Post a Comment