Sunday, July 16, 2017

Road Work

My response to Prompt #24 is a little late. I've been quite busy lately doing lots of traveling for a new job. That means I'm on the road a lot, even in the air.  Though I'm just now finding the time to create my post, this has been brewing in my head for weeks. I have snapped quick photos and made several jottings in my journal, thinking about the prompt and knowing the right time would present itself. And don't you know it's a good thing I waited, because yesterday while I was in the car with my husband, a song lyric played and pulled it all together. Who would have thought Kid Rock would bring me such inspiration!?

Road Work

I just want to drink 'til I'm not thirsty
road work
wrong way
do not enter

I just wanna sleep 'til I'm not tired
crossover
no passing zone
low flying planes

I just want to drive 'til I run out of highway
fasten your seatbelt
it's crunch time

**

As you probably guessed, this is a song lyric interspersed with signs from road and air travel. I didn't use all my jottings. It just seemed right to end it when I did. Here it is with some of my own words added in. Not sure which one I like better. I'll let the readers decide!

Road Work

I just want to drink 'til I'm not thirsty
my home percolated coffee
an Honest T Arnold Palmer

all this road work...

I just wanna sleep 'til I'm not tired
my own Tempurpedic
the warmth of my husband at my side

all this road work...

I just want to drive 'til I run out of highway
wrong way, do not enter, crossover, no passing zone,
low flying planes, fasten your seatbelt, crunch time

time to go home

**

Lyrics from Kid Rock's song Purple Sky which is reportedly, and admittedly by Kid Rock, an adaptation of a song called Telephone Romeo, by Jason Boland & the Stragglers. I read up on it a bit and listened to both versions. From the best I can gather from the information I read, he bought the rights to the song and tweaked it. He was quoted in Billboard magazine as saying he followed the band and always liked their stuff but the song "wasn't quite there yet." He played with it a bit and recorded it. 

I happen to like his version. I think the original is ok. They sound like a hometown band and his version sounds studio polished, which I am not implying is a positive. I just like his, and I'm not particularly a Kid Rock fan (my husband was playing off his iPod). Anyway, I didn't include the videos here. You can certainly YouTube them if you like. They're both available.









No comments:

Post a Comment