Monday, May 29, 2017

Reputation


My response to http://trailbrazin.blogspot.com/2017/04/prompt-23-behind-closed-doors.html


Inspired when I read Nick Flynn's "You moved me through each room" about his experience being hypnotized and taken back to a childhood home.  It took me back to the first time I was hypnotized as a past life regression exercise.  I found myself exactly as this narrative poem says...the feelings were very real.



Reputation

I stand with my back against the
locked door and stare at my sandal-shod feet.

How did it come to this?

I have been well-loved by this village.
A place I’ve always called home.
I am blessed with good fortune. I am
able to share generously. Some call me
benefactor.

It’s my preferred title. Someone who
wants the best for all.

But now an angry mob is pounding
on this door, demanding answers,
and I’m afraid no answer will be
good enough.

That little peasant man who came for
money, I did not believe him.
He is untrustworthy in my eyes, a drunk;
Everyone knows it.
I made my decision based on that.
I judged him without looking in
the man’s eyes and seeing that
yes, it was true his child needed
medicine, and he had no means.

I just thought of the rumors of why he
did not live in town and how
he had more children than he
could feed, and how he abused his
wife. I didn’t trust him.

I judged.

And now I’m judged, as somehow the
town has rallied around this man.
I underestimated their community.
I had dismissed any thought that
he was one of them.

I thought he was Other.
And I assumed others thought so, too.

And now a child has died
in our little town,
and I’m to blame.

I stand behind this closed door
terrified of losing my standing,
my adulation,
my lofty place in the social hierarchy,
Yet small, how small
I feel right now.

But I cannot stand behind this door forever.

Can I recover?
Can I open this door,
face them all,
and say…
I’m sorry?


hms
5.14.17



No comments:

Post a Comment