Saturday, October 15, 2016

Phenomenal Women Prompt #18

Today started with me looking for inspiration in my new collection of Maya Angelou poems, hoping to find a mentor poem to inspire my own creation. I would call it a fail since my original purpose wasn't satisfied, but it was anything but.  I came across "Phenomenal Woman," and read it over and over. Then, I pulled up a Youtube video of the illustrious Maya reciting her own masterpiece. I instantly thought of my Trailbrazen sisters and shared it on our Facebook page.

Then, I added a line to a collaborative poem we have been crafting.  It turns out it will be the last line.   That suggestion, whether Helen knew it or not, was the ultimate compliment, just what I needed. It symbolizes the need for closure I have, and the steps I've been proactively taking to gain that closure.

And, Inspiration didn't stop there. A forgotten song from Sarah McLaughlin, "World on Fire," came across the radio today. I shared that with my writing sisters too. More brilliant writing by another phenomenal woman.

That brings me to this month's prompt:  Write about a phenomenal woman who has had a profound impact on your life. This extraordinary female can be dead or alive, famous or infamous, a writer, a singer, an actress, a politician, a teacher/professor, a colleague, a mentor, a friend, or anything at all.  Your tribute can be in any form you would like: song lyrics, poem, biography, etc. Here's the challenge: Find someone you haven't written about before, maybe do a little research to reveal things even you didn't know about her.

I can't wait to read about more phenomenal women written by, well, phenomenal women!

No comments:

Post a Comment