Monday, June 13, 2016

Prompt #14 - Unsent Letter

The Trailbrazen prompts of late have been pushing us to be brave and experiment with forms we may have been too timid to attempt before. Because we are a tribe of strong, supportive, and intelligent women who don't make apologies, I think we are all ready for prompt #14.  

At pivotal times in my life, I have written the unsent letter when I need to say something to the person/people who have crushed me---but can't---or decide it's just not prudent to do so. These letters are cathartic whether it's after a break-up, a death, a friendship gone sour, or any situation ending badly. 

I know that unsent letters aren't supposed to be published, or at least seen by the people they are addressed to. I also understand that it can be uncomfortable to write one. So, here's my way around those issues: Make your unsent letter fictional. If you want, you can base it on a true story. Or not. It can be a poem. It can be anything you want. Because if I've learned anything from this group, when we are brave and brazen and let our walls down, the words that come out free us all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment