Monday, September 7, 2020

Prompt #63: Blue Mind

I started reading a blog that I subscribe to today and it led me from one thing to another and another, until I stumbled upon the book, Blue Mind by Wallace J. Nichols. I was thrilled to find it in my library app, and will begin reading it as soon as I finish posting this prompt! In any case, I read an article with the author and it inspired this prompt. I swiped the questions right from him!

Nichols wrote and talks about the blue mind and its counter red mind. In concise summary, the blue mind is the meditative and calming state we feel when we are near water. Think relaxing by the beach, floating in the pool, vacationing at an oceanside resort or on a cruise, taking a walk by a lake or fishing in a pond. The Red Mind is the anxious, over-connected and over-stimulated mind of our everyday lives. Think work, social media, streaming, searching the internet. I can't wait to read more, because this fascinates me. (Just in case you were wondering, the author doesn't claim to be the founder of such discovery. He speaks of long known research about the positive effects water has on people for sustained happiness.)

Anyway... the prompt. Thinking about your blue mind, consider these questions Nichols likes to ask people when he meets them for the first time:

What’s your water? This essentially means, What’s the first water you think of and what’s the water you dream about and long for? What does it feel like, smell like and look like? Contemplate your relationship with water. I invite you to do some journaling, even scrolling through your photos (I for example, realized I take a lot of water photos!)

Write what inspires you. Poetry, a memoir, a narrative, or a piece of fiction. Go with the flow. Get it? 😉






No comments:

Post a Comment