Monday, October 7, 2019

Ishq

Response to prompt #55: A Word of Inspiration

Ishq

Hollywood always brings me back...
not your Hollywood;
no walk of fame, no red carpets, no Rodeo drive
just a South Florida city with the park, the beach,
an airport, and a less than dazzling downtown,
ever gentrifying like so many others
but it's our town, even 15 years after we left

And as we causally cruised through, rolling
20 mph, searching the diagonally slotted cars
parked along the storefronts,
once a magic shop and a gentleman's golf apparel store
now a Latin night club and shabby chic boutique
I went back in time

Did you know when you wanted to marry me
all the way back then, before you left?
Oh yeah, he replied without question
I wondered how he knew,
how he was so sure even then

And I thought about our wedding day
I can't be certain when I first knew
but on that day I did, and with every passing day
I still do, I'm more sure every day and every year

How has the time passed so quickly?
we are still teenagers, living the life
strolling downtown like big shots

I guess maybe I did know then
deep inside I always knew

My love, my friend, my partner







No comments:

Post a Comment