Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Coya Didn't Come Home

Response to Prompt #49 Historically Speaking

Another interesting creative journey.

This began when I read a story called "Princess Lily" which caused me to think of all the messages I received as a child about what it meant to be a woman. I then found a guide online, published in 1955, called "The Good Housewife Guide."  Must be seen to be believed!

https://www.littlethings.com/1950s-good-housewife-guide/

I was determined to write a story, so started thinking of who the main character could be, and what the conflict was. Over the course of several days, I came across several ideas. Finally one seemed to stick. I named the characters. Wrote the first line. Even had a title for the story: "Message Received."

Yet, it still didn't work.

Then I thought, well, maybe it isn't a story. Maybe it is a poem. I went back and Googled "Women's lives in the 1950's," and this is when I found Coya.  Immediately I knew it was to be a eulogy poem -- Coya telling her story.  And throughout this process I kept thinking: things have changed...but not enough.  I think a lot of what she went through women still face today -- big time.


Rep. Coya Knutson shown shopping in 1955 following her demand to know why housewives are saddled with high grocery bills while farm income continues to drop.


Coya Gjesdal Kuntson

Say that I was born the child of Norwegian immigrant farmers.
That I worked on the farm, earned a degree, went to Julliard for a short time.
Say that I married Andy Knutson, a farm hand, moved to Minnesota.
We operated a hotel and grain farm and adopted 8-year-old Terry.

When you tell my story, say that it was my community activism that got me started in politics.
I was a member of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party.
I served on many boards, and made it to the Minnesota House of Representatives.
I faced the wrath of my husband, who resented my career, and dealt with his alcoholism.

Remember to tell them that I ran for the U.S. House against the wishes of the DFL party, who wanted me to stay at the state level.
I was not one to bend to the will of men or let anyone else be my master.
I took on a six-time incumbent, campaigning tirelessly, 25,000 miles in my car, and delivered a dozen speeches a day, all without the endorsement of the DFL.
I favored farm supports, and was disgusted at the high price levels for poultry, eggs, and milk.
I spoke against President Eisenhower and the Secretary of Agriculture for the plans they pushed that hurt farmers.

On January 3, 1955 I became the first Congresswoman from the state of Minnesota.
I continued to fight for the farmers, for export of our yields, and when recession hit, questioned our priorities, our focus on Sputnik.
Don’t forget I said that All this talk about ‘conquering outer space’ is just jibberish if Congress and the administration do nothing about conquering the vast inner space in the heart of young Americans – from the family farm, or whatever their origin – who have lost their jobs.
Our priorities had to be straight.
If we want to care about education, let us create loan programs for needy students.
Scholars need dollars.
I contributed ideas for college guidance programs, educational television, vocational schools, and graduate fellowships.

When you tell my story, say I was popular and effective, that one congressman said he “wouldn’t swap me for a one-half dozen men,”
But that the DFL leadership still did not want me in this position.
They were angry when in 1956 I put my support behind Senator Kefaluver for president, when they wanted Adlai Stevenson.
I held my position anyway, beating back my opponent.

Remember to tell them that by 1958 the problems mushroomed.
The DFL conspired with my husband to subvert my career.
They wrote a letter attributed to him, “Coya Come Home,” paid him to sign it, and made national headlines.
They publicized marital problems and hinted I was having an affair.
I was not the good housewife who put her husband before all else.
My work was important to me, and to the country.
Still, there were many who felt I didn’t know my place, stepped on too many toes, despite all the good I contributed.

Say that I believed my family life was a personal matter.
I would not speak of it. I was busy.
I made it through the primaries.
But then I was up against a self-proclaimed “family man,” who brought his wife and son to events.
“A Big Man for a Man-Sized Job” was his slogan.
In contrast, my husband was nowhere to be seen.
My defeat came, caused by the exploitation of my family life.

I tried again, but my political life in Minnesota was over.
President Kennedy appointed me as liaison officer in the Office of Civil Defense, where I stayed until 1970.
Andy and I divorced.
I ran for office again, to no avail.
After retirement, I helped my son raise my grandchildren.
I passed away at age 82.

Remember to say I was not a typical 1950’s woman.
I saw need beyond keeping a house and lighting a fire for my husband.
I cared about people, and wanted to use my voice.
There was a price to pay, and it was worth it.
When you tell my story, remember to include the words I spoke many times, 
my advice to all young women everywhere:
Just strike out.
Go on out and try your wings.
That’s what I did.








No comments:

Post a Comment