Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Prompt #38 Peace Be with You

The phrase peace of mind has floated in and out of my mind more than a few times over the past few days and has been brought to the forefront by news--in one of our member's personal life and in national and world news. In our society, we are often so busy giving someone a piece of our mind that we forget to seek and practice peace. Or, is it just me?

A common greeting in the Catholic Church is peace be with you. I'm not Catholic, so I don't know why this phrase has invaded my brain. So, I decided to investigate the greetings for peace in the different religions and cultures and found these prayers for peace instead.

I especially love the Bahia Prayer for Peace:

"Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity. Be fair in your judgment, and guarded in your speech. Be a lamp to those who walk in darkness, and a home to the stranger. Be eyes to the blind, and a guiding light to the feet of the erring. Be a breath of life to the body of humankind, a dew to the soil of the human heart, and a fruit on the tree of humility."


Yes, please.

Here's what I was thinking for the prompt:

1) Write your own prayer or vision for peace.
2) Personify peace in a poem or short story.
3) Describe in detail how you know when you find peace--the feelings, the signs, etc.
4) Write about what brings you peace using vivid imagery.

"What we seek, we will find; what we flee from flees from us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment