Monday, June 12, 2017

Read the Signs

In response to prompt #24--Double the Context , I gathered words and phrases from mail--both snail and e--websites, the road, and my navigation system, and my car alerts. After a frustrating morning of doing lots of legwork and not getting anywhere, I decided to re-visit my list to see if I could capture my current mood. The first is with extra words, and the second is only the words and phrases from the signs (or verbal announcements). 

Read the Signs (embellished version)

Make a U-turn if possible, she chimes. 
But, the sign reads NO U-TURNS, 
shouting it in all caps in case I get other ideas.
I obey that sign only to get assaulted with another command:
RIGHT LANE ENDS MERGE LEFT—
all the while the Maintenance Required Soon reminder beckons.
Alert! Your leaf battery is low!
Alert! Your fuel is low!
No shit, I think as I yield to the cars in the roundabout.


Read the Signs (barebones version)

Make a U-turn if possible
NO U-TURNS
RIGHT LANE ENDS MERGE LEFT
Maintenance Required Soon 
Alert! Your leaf battery is low!
Alert! Your fuel is low!

Yield

No comments:

Post a Comment