Friday, April 22, 2016

The letter

I don't know how old I was. Maybe 10, 11. My childhood is fragmented into parts: where was I living?  Who was living there? I  guess it was after the divorce,  and I was living with my mom. My brother was with our dad.

My mom came into my room with a letter addressed to my brother.  "Will you give this to Joey?"

I  put it on my desk and forgot.  The weeks turned into months. I don't know how long it sat there.

Years later, my brother told me what it was and of the anger he harbored for my mom. It was from a girlfriend in Michigan.  She was pregnant. When she didn't hear from him, she got an abortion.

Did my mom know the contents and put this information in my unreliable hands on purpose?  My brother thinks so.

He was 15 or 16 when he would have been a father for the first time.

How much does my oversight impact him? Am I the reason he has six kids with a woman he doesn't love? How much guilt is mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment