Sunday, September 26, 2021

Prompt #68: Flashbulb Memories

I was struggling with inspiration for our next prompt--my brain full, my creativity and energy spent by Saturday morning. Since John was golfing, I set to getting some menial tasks such as food prepping, laundry, and light cleaning accomplished, hoping inspiration would strike while I was not forcing it. 

It almost did. In fact, I might save one idea (comedy of errors) for later. But, somehow it didn't sit right for now. 

I almost gave into the couch and re-runs of The Office, but I knew this wasn't the best strategy for productive thinking. Instead, I slipped on a swimsuit and headed toward the pool with a book I started a while back and pretty much deserted. It's a nonfiction on memory by Lisa Genova, the author of Still Alice and Left Neglected (highly recommend this one) called Remember: The Science of Memory and the Art of Forgetting. I have long been fascinated with neuroscience and love when someone can deliver the specifics in a accessible way. 

I knew I needed some outdoors time--the warmth of the sun, the sound of the birds, the breeze making the palm fronds dance. I also knew reading in that setting without the distractions of my to-do list would be my best bet for inspiration. And, I was right. 

Ideas started flowing when Genova explained episodic memory, "the history of you, remembered by you," (Genova, 2021, p. 78). I jotted down the idea and marked the page number. Then, I got to the next page where she discussed a specific type of episodic memory: flashbulb memory. Ding, ding, ding! I had my winner.

Flashbulb memories, according to Genova, are activated by strong emotion and surprise--highly unexpected and registered in your brain as extremely significant (Genova, 2021).  These differ from photographic memories but do have some of the characteristics such as the retention of vivid details (Genova, 2021). 

Finally, the prompt: Search your catalog of memories for a flashbulb memory. Remember, they will be easy to find as they stand out from run-of-the-mill memories. Use this memory however you wish to create your piece--it could be really cool song lyrics, a micro memoir, an autobiographical or fictional short story, a poem, or for a challenge, a combination of genres. 

Try not to rely on journals to jog a memory, and don't worry if you've written on the subject before. The goal is to find the most emotionally charged and vivid memory that comes to mind and spin it into writing that captures that moment so others can share in it. 

Happy writing! 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reference

Genova, L. (2021).  Remember: The Science of Memory and the Art of Forgetting. (1st Edition). 
            Harmony Books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment