Sunday, January 3, 2021

Prompt #65--Random Page

I am not sure who handed me the idea for this practice--I doubt very much I made it up on my own.  I do know it coincided with the practice of reading a Bible verse everyday, so I am guessing it was a youth minister. Regardless, I often find myself doing it: opening to a random page of a book to receive the message I am supposed to receive that day. Sometimes it is eerily on point, other times I don't find much purpose. At those times, I flip to another page, ultimately defeating the purpose. 

So, I'd like to challenge myself--and my writing partners--to engage in the practice without allowing a redo. Choose any book--a novel, a collection of poetry, a memoir, a self-help book, a book about writing, etc--and open to a random page. The first line your eyes settle upon will become the focus and (hopefully) the inspiration for your piece. 

After 2020, random seems fitting and making the best of what is handed to you seems like a great way to build flexibility of thinking--something that can really help when life seems so arbitrary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment