Thursday, March 21, 2019

Prompt #50--What's Over the Hill?

Over the hill--the term thrown around to describe those turning 50. I never really thought much about it until time starting moving at warp speed toward this "milestone." Funny thing is, I am not bothered about it at all. It's just a number, and we all know I'm not a numbers kind of girl.

So, I'd rather focus on the real milestone--our 50th prompt as a writing circle! Like the decades of our lives, those 50 prompts have produced fantastic things filled with every sort of emotion and feeling. Thousands of words--carefully chosen as we crafted our pieces. I feel honored to be given the opportunity to chose this special prompt, but also a little anxious. I want to make sure it is something worthy, interesting, and different. 

And, then my mind went back to hills, and I began wondering what symbolism they have in literature. I stumbled upon a Hemingway story, "Hills Like White Elephants," a story dripping with symbolism and weight despite the succinct language and lack of description. One I have never read. One I instantly fell in love with. 

An idea was born.

For this prompt, use hills (and valleys if you want) as symbolism in a poem, short story, memoir, personal essay, lyrics, or any genre you choose. To help you get started:
  • Think about important events in your life where hills were involved.
  • Read the Hemingway story and/or research other stories, poems, movies, or songs that incorporate hills. 
  • Look up images of hills to get some inspiration. 
I can't wait to find out what's over, under, on top, and surrounding your hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment