Monday, February 5, 2018

#33: I've Been Writing This Since...

Ever since we heard Richard Blanco speak his poem from Obama's inauguration, live at the Sanibel Island Writer's Conference, I have been thinking about purchasing his book Looking for the Gulf Motel. I remember holding it in my hands at the bookstore table. I remember glancing through the table of contents. And I remember his voice.

I remember him sharing stories through the eyes of young "Ricardo," the memories of his abuela and the struggles of being a chubby gay Cuban kid. I remember I felt lucky to be sitting there, a part of a writing conference, a part of the fellowship. And I remember his voice.



Once the conference was over, I began following him on Facebook. Many times he posts to give some publicity to other poets and authors he admires, new and long before him. And sometimes, he posts a gem of his own. On January 25th of this year, he gifted us this poem. We all instantly loved it, and we agreed it made for a great mentor poem.

That's all I'm going to say. That's the prompt. Learn from the master and be inspired by the mentor. Do with it what you will. I'm sure it will yield beautiful words from all of us. How could it not?


In the meantime, I think I need to put his book back at the top of my wishlist! 

No comments:

Post a Comment