Sunday, December 17, 2017

Prompt #31--Revenge Song

Revenge. The most noble of us have wanted to seek it at some point, even if we never acted upon that urge. Listening to "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons, I realized it is a revenge song of sorts (see the full lyrics here):

Kids were laughing in my classes
While I was scheming for the masses
Who do you think you are?
Dreaming 'bout being a big star
They say you're basic, they say you're easy
You're always riding in the backseat
Now I'm smiling from the stage
While you were clapping in the nose bleeds

Being one of those on the outskirts in middle and high school, I can totally relate.

Maybe you've wanted to seek sweet revenge on a man who wronged you. A co-worker whose screwed you over.  Those in power who think they're untouchable.

I know we are all peace-loving people in this group, but I thought it would be a fun challenge to write our own revenge lyrics. A story or fable would work too. As always, the form is up for grabs, but think about who or what you'd love recriminate and let some wicked humor come through. As Edward Buller-Lytton said, "The pen is mightier than the sword."



No comments:

Post a Comment